On May 19, the newest movie based on the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series comes to theaters. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul is the fourth movie based on author Jeff Kinney’s popular series of comics featuring “wimpy kid” Greg Heffley and his family.
In the new movie, the Heffleys embark on a road trip to attend the celebration for Meemaw’s 90th birthday. However, as in the book, things don’t go according to plan, with luggage falling onto the road, birds invading the car, horrifically singing parents, and a surprise pet pig. For further laughs, the kids try to divert the trip to attend a video game convention amid all the chaos. You can watch the latest trailer for a glimpse of all the excitement:
The new cast includes:
- Jason Drucker as Greg Heffley
- Owen Asztalos as Rowley Jefferson
- Charlie Wright as Rodrick Heffley
- Wyatt and Dylan Walters as Manny Heffley
- Alicia Silverstone as Susan Heffley
- Tom Everett Scott as Frank Heffley
- Chris Coppola as Mr. Beardo
- Kimberli Lincoln as Mrs. Beardo
- Mira Silverman as Brandi Beardo
- Joshua Hoover as Mac Digby
Even just days away from its release, critic reviews and sneak peeks of the movie are scarce, so you’ll have to see it yourself to find out more. You can probably expect similar humor to the previous movies and some scenes from the book, as well as the interactions with the Beardo family.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul will be released by 20th Century Fox in theaters nation-wide on May 19th. Directed by David Bowers, it is rated PG and runs for 1 hour, 30 minutes.