Nickelodeon has always been a staple in everyone, young or old, childhood memories. This month marks the twenty-fifth anniversary of the beloved NickToons including the likes of Rugrats, Doug and The Ren and Stimpy Show. There has been a lot of excitement from everyone about such a land-mark and waves of nostalgic times have flooded the Internet. This year at Comic-Con International Nick sent us back in time with a massive celebration of the late and great 90s series. But the fun isn’t ending there thanks to a new collaboration with STORY.
STORY, New York’s ever-changing concept store, unveils “Remember When,” an immersive retro experience that celebrates Nickelodeon’s iconic shows and memorable characters from the ‘90s, timed to the 25th anniversary of Nickelodeon animation. Open August 5 – September 18, “Remember When” is the 31st installation for STORY and takes a nostalgic look back at the decade that gave birth to the Rugrats, dial-up Internet and leggings as pants. To bring the ‘90s “back to life, back to reality,” STORY has teamed up with over 25 brands on items that celebrate the spirit of ‘90s Nickelodeon–from a pair of Double Dare-inspired Keds and a stonewash denim jacket by Gap, to Rolex watches customized by Bamford Watch Department.
According to the press release, “Remember When” takes visitors back to the future through the lens of a yearbook, set against a backdrop that features portraits of beloved ‘90s Nick characters reimagined by New York illustrator Charlotte Fassler on the STORY wall.
The experience is centered on five clubs that highlight fan-favorite Nickelodeon shows and other elements of ‘90s culture:
- HOMEROOM: Where it all starts. Celebrate the legacy of Nickelodeon through products that feature a mash-up of beloved ‘90s characters and give back with brands like State Bags and Out of Print.
- BESTIES: Remembering Nickelodeon’s iconic duos.
- DOUBLE DARE: Hit prints and patterns from Crshr and Boardies inspired by Nickelodeon’s ultimate ‘90s game show Double Dare and iconic green Slime.
- CITY KIDS: Hey Arnold!-inspired pieces that play to the home crowd.
- YEARBOOKERS: The ‘90s were all that, from your favorite candy to must-have nostalgic picks.
From August 18 to September 18, RON ROBINSON will host a STORY “Remember When”- themed shop-in-shop in its Santa Monica store and feature an edited selection of the limited-edition product.
“The nostalgia that this collaboration with Nickelodeon evokes is energizing. I told my staff about this project and they, each one, went into their list of which characters and shows they were fond of. It’s been exhilarating for me to work together with Rachel and her team at STORY, they are true masters!!! Our teams have worked seamlessly together. I am looking forward to the celebration at RON ROBINSON on August 18,” shares Ron Robinson, Founder & CEO, RON ROBINSON.
For the new collection, the iconic Neiman Marcus will highlight key collaborations with an online extension of “Remember When” on their website for a limited time starting August 24 through September 18. Jim Gold President, Chief Merchandising Officer, Neiman Marcus, said,
“We are thrilled to partner with Rachel and her great team to bring STORY to Neiman Marcus. We love her innovative approach to product, marketing and the customer experience, and believe that we can collaborate in a very exciting way to showcase the unexpected for our clients – starting with an introduction of her ‘90s icon story on our website.”
Pam Kaufman, Chief Marketing Officer and President, Consumer Products, Nickelodeon, said,
“Consumer demand for ‘90s Nickelodeon is off the charts and we are excited to introduce an exclusive new line of products based on our most popular shows to celebrate this iconic chapter of our history. We think STORY is the perfect partner to kick off our new consumer products program and Nickelodeon fans are really going to love it.”
New York residents are the lucky ones as they get to enjoy the full flashback force through a series of playful in-store experiences. Double Dare fans can step up to the podium for photo opportunities and the most daring will be able to take a physical challenge on the hamster wheel from the original obstacle course. A display designed by Perch Interactive will showcase behind-the-scenes interviews with many of the creators of Nickelodeon’s animated series, while an in-store selfie station will give visitors an opportunity to get digitally Slimed through a custom interactive photo experience designed by Foxtales. Finally, Time Travel Radio, created by Jamie Carreiro, a Creative and Tech Director at PARTY NYC, has curated the top hit songs from 1990-1999, so fans can relive the decade via music.
Exclusive collaborations for “Remember When” include:
- Bamford Watch Department Rolex: To create the ultimate throwback timepiece, Bamford Watch Department has turned three Rolex watches into limited-edition collector’s pieces with three distinct faces inspired by Double Dare (Slime), an all-over Nickelodeon animation print, and SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Chasing Paper: Peel and stick removable wallpaper with two Nickelodeon-inspired patterns designed by STORY.
- Denik: With every product sold from this collection of custom journals, a portion of the proceeds goes directly to building schools and to support the artist.
- Dormify: In time for back-to-school, Dormify has created a collection of limited-edition pillows inspired by Nickelodeon’s animated cast of characters, from Ren & Stimpy to SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Harry Barker: Super-healthy snacks for cats, dogs, and CatDogs. Plus, a handmade dog toy made to look like Chuckie Finster’s iconic glasses.
- Keds: Hit the ground running in two exclusive styles of ‘90s-perfect Keds sneakers, each featuring a custom print and laces inspired by the hit Nickelodeon game show Double Dare.
- Leeloo Soaps: Handmade in Portland, Leeloo Soaps has created five custom bars including a Slime green bar and Wallaby Wash.
- Mi Cielo: Rugrats-inspired onesies for today’s rug rats, handmade in Austin, Texas.
- Print All Over Me: The online platform for self-expression and creative collaboration brings together a wide assortment of apparel and accessories to commemorate ‘90s Nick from bathing suits and Slimed hoodies to bucket hats for little ones.
- Rockets of Awesome: Rockets of Awesome has turned its cool kids’ wear into two throwback statement pieces: a glow-in-the dark Slime-covered tee and silver metallic varsity jacket, perfect for today’s coolest Nick fans.
- Samsung: An exclusive Nick character collection of electronics including fast-charge exterior batteries, wireless Slimed speaker and printed Galaxy phone cases.
- Smashbox: Unleash your inner ‘90s babe with “The Kiss Ups,” an exclusive collection of lipsticks in three shades inspired by the decade’s moody hues.
- Stance Socks: Kick it old school. Indie sock maker Stance has created a line of limited-edition pairs of retro-right statement socks for the stickball champ in all of us.
- Sugarfina: L.A.-based confectioner Sugarfina puts a sugar-coated spin on the ‘90s with five Nickelodeon-inspired boxed gummies including SpongeBob SquarePants pineapples and Slime green apples.
- Tidal Flip Flops: Tidal’s expertly engineered American-made flip flops take a step back in time with three exclusive styles featuring SpongeBob SquarePants, Ren & Stimpy and a ‘90s Nick character print.
- WattzUp: 3D-molded power chargers in the shape of fan-favorite Nick characters that charge to 100% in a single use.
Additionally, select Ren & Stimpy pieces from the fall 2016 Jeremy Scott collection will be available for purchase. That is nothing short of a lot to look forward to. Here are some of the images they passed along to us. It looks fantastic!
Join the conversation: What do you want to see happen as part of this on-going celebration for 90s Nick?